“You go to work each day tasked with (1) inventing brilliant solutions that (2) meet specific objectives by (3) defined deadlines. If you do this successfully you get to keep your job. If you don’t, you get to work on your résumé. The moment you exchange your creative efforts for money, you enter a world where you will have to be brilliant at a moment’s notice. (no pressure, right?)”
Many of us assume that our creative process is beyond our ability to influence, and pay attention to it only when it isn’t working properly. For the most part, we go about our daily tasks and everything just “works.” Until it doesn’t.
In The Accidental Creative, Todd Henry reveals the dynamics of organizational creativity and teaches simple practices that help you unlock brilliant ideas and establish a rhythm that supports your creative process. You’ll discover how to:
- Focus in on your most critical work and reclaim your attention.
- Develop stimulating relationships that will lead to creative insights.
- Effectively manage your energy so that you are always ready to engage.
- Curate stimuli that help you pursue creative possibilities
- Leverage your hours wisely and effectively to eliminate creativity drains.
Additional book resources are here.
Todd Henry has spent years breaking down the secrets of highly effective creatives. Read this book and prepare to ramp up your brilliance!
– Chris Guillebeau, author of The Art of Nonconformity
The gift of creative insight is not to be squandered! Todd Henry has assembled a guide that will enrich your creative pursuits. Don’t dream without it.
– Scott Belsky, CEO of Behance, author of Making Ideas Happen
The Accidental Creative is an inspiring and practical guide for staying fresh and doing brilliant work. If you regularly need great ideas, this book will help you find them.
– Tony Schwartz, bestselling author of Be Excellent At Anything
Mr. Henry’s prescription for maximizing productivity is sagacious, innovative, and sublimely practical. I’ve already incorporated into my own regime three of his notions and they are working like gangbusters. The Accidental Creative is high-octane fuel for creative productivity.
– Steven Pressfield, bestselling author of The War of Art
There are two definitive versions of you with Todd’s book: you before reading it, and you to the 100th power immediately after. Bottom line, The Accidental Creative offers real-world, inspirational insight on how to realize your creative best.
– riCardo Crespo, SVP/Global Creative Chief, 20th Century Fox (FCP)
This book is a practical awakening to a life of surprise and usefulness, which is why creativity matters. It contains wisdom, practices and guidelines to help calm and focus us in a world vibrating with distraction.
– Peter Block, author of Community
The Accidental Creative should be required reading whether you are starting out in business or already a CEO. It presents a step-by-step model that will immediately help you generate business-building ideas for your job.
– Bob Gilbreath, Chief Strategy Officer at Possible Worldwide, author of The
Next Evolution of Marketing
I was struck with how relevant and practical this book is for anyone in the creative field at any level. I am a creative professional that has been actively engaged in a design career for over 25 years and I found this book not only insightful but enlightening and challenging to the last phrase. It is full of invaluable life lessons.
– Tim Hale, SVP for Marketing and Communications, Fossil
The myth of the tortured creative has been shattered! Henry brings accountability and a brilliant method to the mysterious process of creating in a way that feels fresh and inspiring.
– Richard Westendorf, Exec. Creative Director, Landor Associates